Friday, May 7, 2010

WATCHING TV MAKES YOU 'UNEDUCATED'

Today in my media audiences class the topic was 'The Gendered Audience.' As a tutorial task we were split into two groups, boys and girls. We were asked to discuss which TV shows we often watch. We were also given a photocopy of yesterdays television guide and were asked to highlight TV shows we thought were aimed at females in pink, those aimed at males in blue and neutral ones in purple. Sounds fun right?

I love watching TV. Sometimes I am too busy and barely get to watch it at all but Thursday night is my 'TV' night. I watch Home and Away, Masterchef, Glee and The Amazing Race. When I told my group this, a girl named Melanie* looked disgusted. She immediately judged me as being 'non-educated.' I couldn't believe it. She was like 'I never have time to watch TV. I am too busy studying.'

When discussing Masterchef our group decided it should be colour coded pink. We also decided that the 7:30pm report on channel ABC should be coloured blue. Melanie quickly added 'some women are actually educated and wouldn't watch Masterchef, they would be more inclined to watch the 7:30pm report.' I couldn't believe her nerve. She was calling me 'uneducated.' For the rest of the class she had nothing to say but insults and behaved as if she was above me and the other members in our group. She was making it out like watching TV was a sin and that it was a hobby for stupid 'uneducated' people.

People like Melanie* make my skin crawl. I understand she is entitled to an opinion but she had no right to make such remarks and assumptions like that.
Sorry. I just HAD to get that off my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment