Tuesday, May 4, 2010

WHY I DEACTIVATED MY FACEBOOK

In response to my recent post about procrastination I felt that it was necessary to focus more on my study and less on social networking. Therefore I recently made the bold decision to deactivate my Facebook.
This was a tough decision as my daily routine often includes Facebook 'stalking' and 'prying' and often this addictive hobby can often consume up to two to three hours of my day. I am always on Facebook, chatting to people, looking at peoples photos and laughing at the ridiculous amount of pathetic groups people willingly join. Deactivating was a difficult process but I knew it was the best thing to do. I have three major assignments due within the next two weeks and the last thing I need to be doing is spending my time on Facebook (although I still have my Twitter account) lol ;)

I did some research and on the Facebook site found some frightening statistics.
  • More than 400 million active users
  • 50% of our active users log on to Facebook in any given day
  • People spend over 500 billion minutes per month on Facebook
I almost think that Facebook is sad. Although hypocritical because I often find myself on the site for hours on end, it is sad to see that people actually 'live for Facebook'. I think that instead of social networking people should get off the couch and make some friends in the real world. In the university library every computer screen is distinctively blue and white as people chat to their friends that are two computers away from them. Face-to-face conversations are almost extinct.

Although I admit I will reactivate my Facebook within the next few weeks I want to limit my daily dosage and focus more on my studies. The only reason I don't delete my Facebook forever is for two reasons.
1. Facebook is my only link to my friends I made in America while on student exchange
2. Facebook doesn't let you DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT.

That's right. There isn't even an option to delete your account. You can only deactivate it with the option of 'reactivating at any time'. Facebook doesn't want you to leave. They encourage you to stay. It's a trap.

When I went to deactivate my account there was a slogan saying 'Are you sure you want to deactivate your account'. Below Facebook has accessed your pictures and chosen five of you and your friends. For example above each picture it says 'Sarah will miss you' 'Brody will miss you' 'Claire will miss you' etc. Right down to the last second Facebook is convincing you to stay, a cheeky tactic!

It has only been two days since my deactivation but I find myself habitually typing Facebook into my browser then realising I cannot access it.

I think this Facebook detox will be a good thing for me and hopefully my assignment grades will reflect that.

How long do you spend on Facebook/Myspace/Twitter each day? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment