Monday, March 22, 2010

DON'T COUNT YOUR CHICKENS BEFORE THEY HATCH

I think that it is totally unnecessary to find out the sex of your baby before it is born. This might seem like a kind of random post but my sister is pregnant and finding out the gender of the baby has been discussed many times. I don't think they are going to find out the sex, but I have a couple of friends who have told me that if they were to have a baby they would definitely want to know if it were a boy or a girl. There reasons: so they can 'colour coordinate' their nursery and wardrobes! That is the most stupidest thing I have ever heard. Why would it matter what colour the nursery is. You can always choose gender neutral tones, such as yellow, orange, red and green. I don't think buying pink or blue clothes would be my first priority either. I think giving birth to a happy and healthy baby is more important than what is between its legs and what colour jumpsuit it is wearing. I think that not knowing would be more exciting. What ever happened to the element of surprise. My friend told me 'most people find out these days' which I am struggling to find Australian statistics to support. The funny thing is, ultrasound technicians can get it wrong and you might end up with a totally 'uncolour-coordinated' room!!

Although I understand that finding out the sex of a baby is each couples personal decision I just think that some of the reasoning behind the choices are almost selfish. Many of my friends in America have babies and I think that almost all of them find out the sex of the baby AND name the baby before it is even born. A friend of mine has also already started to buy baby things, such as a pram. And she is only 12 weeks pregnant. Chances are that in the next 28 weeks she is going to probably find another pram that she likes better and probably even cheaper. Same thing applies for naming your baby when it isn't even born yet. You are probably going to change the name anyway because you will find another name that is more 'perfect'.

I think finding out the sex takes all the excitement out of having a baby. I'd rather wait the nine months, be totally surprised when I find out the sex and then choose a name. I know that pregnancy is an exciting thing but like the old saying goes, don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Would you want to find out the sex of your baby and name it before it is born?

1 comment:

  1. i think the anticipation would kill me, so i probably would find out the sex. but if i already had one of each, i don't think i would hahaha.
    i already have names picked out for my future kids, and i'm only sixteen. hahahaa.
    but i totally get what you're saying :)

    ReplyDelete