Thursday, March 11, 2010

SHUTTER ISLAND!!

On Sunday afternoon I dragged Damien to the cinema to see Shutter Island because I had a free movie ticket. I hadn't heard much about Shutter Island, I hadn't even seen the preview for it. So I was going in with no expectations whatsoever.

Shutter Island stars Chuck (Mark Ruffalo) and Teddy (Leonardo DiCaprio) as a pair of U.S Marshalls that are sent to Shutter Island, a maximum security hospital for the criminally insane, to investigate the disappearance of Rachel Solando a patient who has managed to escape from her cell. Rachel had been convicted to Shutter Island for drowning her three children. The only way to get off the island is by a ferry, which leads Teddy to believe that Rachel is still somewhere on the island.

The first half of the movie shows the search for Rachel but in a strange twist of events, it is then Teddy who is considered 'crazy'. It is revealed that Teddy is actually a patient at Shutter Island and has been for two years. The doctors and psychiatrists of Shutter Island explain to Teddy that he is the one who in fact drowned his children and shot his wife. Teddy believes that everyone is lying to him and that he is being set up. Teddy thinks that he is being drugged as all the food and cigarettes he had been consuming had been supplied by the staff of Shutter Island.

The movie was very confusing and I am sorry if I have given away to much, but trust me I haven't. There is so much more to this movie that I have not explained. There are so many twists and surprises that my mind is still ticking, trying to find some answers.

During Teddy's initial investigation of searching for Rachel he discovers that Shutter Island conducts lobotomies to patients who cannot be cured of their mental illness by any other means. The staff of Shutter Island deny that lobotomies are being performed and the audience is lead to believe this as it is made out that Teddy is in fact 'crazy'. At the end of the movie, it shows Teddy and Chuck sitting on some stairs out the front of the institution. A staff member walks out of the building holding a straight jacket and an ice pick, an instrument used when doing a lobotomy. This is the part that really confused me. This means that Teddy was not crazy. That Shutter Island was pure evil and WAS conducting lobotomies on their patients. I am still trying to understand everything. I think I need to go and see the movie again. But although many people are arguing that Teddy was crazy, I think that the ending made it clear that he was being set up.

You HAVE to go see this movie. I have done such a bad job at trying to explain it, but once you see it you will understand why. It is one of the weirdest and hardest to interpret movies I have ever seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment